Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One, Two, Three, Many Modesto Anarchos?

A while ago I posted up a link to a new insurrectionary zine from Denver entitled, Til It Breaks. It seemed interesting. Really on the insurrectionary kick, really into crime, and also obviously strongly influenced by the radical queer politics of groups like Bash Back. I liked paging through the first issue, but some it really just wasn't doing it for me. A lot of the 'action' stuff struck me as things we were reporting on in Modesto Anarcho in the early days of the magazine when we were stealing all our ideas from War on Misery. People destroying stuff without any context seems kind of pointless for me in many regards - even if we 'can give it a context' and it's hella sic.

Anyway, I found that they have a blog now, as well as a new issue, which was really a lot better than the last issue. I also noticed that they lifted the whole, 'what we believe' section right from Modesto Anarcho, as well as a couple of photos and images from various issues of MA and Firestorm. Several of the articles as well (especially the one where they talk about 'broke on broke crime') show the MA influence to be pretty deep.

Since we've been getting ready for the tour, the past couple of days and weeks have brought back a flood of memories back to in regards to things that anarchists in Modesto have done over the years. It seems ages ago when we started doing stuff together (2003) and it was. It also is strange to me that MA is a big of an influence on people now as zines like Northeastern Anarchist, Green Anarchy, and then War on Misery were to me over the years.

If I had any advice to the editors of Til It Breaks, I would just state that they should perhaps think about who their audience is. Is it anarchists or other working class people? A lot of the articles seem like they could be picked up and read by anyone, but some of them seem more directed at radicals. Also, some of the stuff on sabotage and 'social war' might be a little over the top for some people, but whatever. Some of the action section stuff also I wouldn't include. At this point, I'm interested in how people are resisting collectively and in groups, negating their class role in various ways. While I think kids knocking over a vending machine to get candy is tight, I don't know if I want to give it space in a magazine and declare it a proletarian victory. PS - Now I want a Butterfinger.

Til it Breaks #2, peep it ahora.

No comments:

Post a Comment